Surrogacy is long been known as the perfect way to reach your parenthood goals. Still, it’s always crucial to select the right destination and agency that can help you realize your parental aspirations in the best manner possible. Talking surrogacy in Australia has provided numerous intended parents across the globe with an opportunity to seek their child-seeking aspirations without burning a hole in their pocket.
Moreover, there are many parties involved in the surrogacy process in Australia:
- the child’s intended parents, who will raise the child,
- Surrogate mother, who will carry and give birth to the child.
What are the types of surrogacy permitted in Western Australia?
Intended parents must know that using a birth mother’s egg and a donor or arranged parent’s sperm is known as traditional surrogacy in Australia. On the other side, utilizing donor or intended parent gametes is known as gestational surrogacy.
Besides, access to surrogacy arrangements in Western Australia is restricted to:
- heterosexual married or de facto couples who are unable to conceive a child for medical reasons
- who are unlikely to conceive a child given random infertility issues
- who has a genetic disorder or disease
- a woman who is unable to conceive or give birth to a child for medical reasons
- who is unlikely to conceive a child due to a genetic disorder or disease.
- The medical explanations listed above do not mention an age-related factor.
What are the listed requirements for surrogacy in Australia?
- At least 25 years of age must be reached by the surrogate mother.
- At least one child must have been born to the birth mother (except in exceptional circumstances).
- The intended parents, the birth mother and her husband or partner (if applicable), any donor(s), and their spouse or partner have all signed the surrogacy agreement (if applicable).
- All parties to the surrogacy agreement are required to: participate in counseling; undergo evaluations to determine their physical and mental suitability for surrogacy; and obtain independent legal counsel.
- There is a 3-month cooling-off period following the completion of the aforementioned requirements before approval can be granted.
- If the birth mother got pregnant as a result of the surrogacy arrangement, it cannot be approved.
How same-sex surrogacy works in Western Australia?
As of now, same-sex surrogacy is not permissible in Western Australia. Moreover, single women and heterosexual couples are currently only allowed access to the surrogacy process in Australia.
On the other hand, the Western Australian government has pledged to provide equal access to altruistic surrogacy for women who face imminent infertility, single men, people in same-sex relationships, transgender people, and intersex people. The law in this state is currently being reviewed.
In a form of assisted reproduction known as surrogacy, a woman agrees to carry and give birth to a child on behalf of another person or couple. Moreover, participants in surrogacy include the child’s intended parents, who will raise the child, and the birth mother, who will carry and give birth to the child.
Permitted forms of surrogacy in Western Australia:
Gestational surrogacy uses intended parent or donor gametes in addition to the birth mother’s egg and sperm used in traditional surrogacy. On the other side, the Reproductive Technology Council must approve surrogacy agreements in this part of the country.
Besides, Surrogacy cannot be done for money at a surrogacy clinic in Australia with altruistic surrogacy as the only permissible type of surrogacy.
On the other side, there are severe consequences for:
- Publishing advertisements seeking or offering surrogacy for monetary gains
- Making a surrogacy arrangement for monetary gains
- Receiving “valuable consideration” for introducing parties to a surrogacy arrangement, whether or not that arrangement is for reward, or offering a service to facilitate a surrogacy arrangement for reward are all examples of surrogacy arrangements for reward.
Always associate with a reputed surrogacy clinic in Australia for the best results. That way, you can always reap the best rewards out of your surrogacy journey in the country.